Articles Posted in Education

fafsa for divorced couplesMost college student aid comes from federal student aid programs. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, better known as FAFSA, is a document published by the U.S. Department of Education. Students use this application to apply for federal aid in order to help with college and career-school expenses. FASFA is used by colleges and career schools throughout the nation as the basis for making decisions regarding eligibility for financial assistance.

Like many states, New Jersey requires students applying for financial aid to begin with the federal application and uses FAFSA to qualify applicants for state-specific programs. For that reason, you must be certain that you complete and submit your FAFSA in time to meet New Jersey’s filing deadline.

Students use federal student aid to pay for tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, transportation, and other related expenses.

College expensesNew Jersey child-support orders should consider the educational needs of the children. Generally speaking, New Jersey courts hold that it is the parents’ responsibility to provide a post-secondary education for their children. In some cases, the court will also issue an order that one or both parents contribute to private or religious elementary and/or secondary education.

Aretsky Law Group, P.C., will help you understand the issues involved. We will guide you through the process to ensure that your divorce agreement or modification meets the needs of you and your children. We will do everything we can to come to an agreement between you and your ex-spouse; however, if an agreement cannot be reached, we will vigorously represent you to protect your rights and to enable you to provide the best education possible for your children.

We are also able to provide assistance in the filling out and filing of the FAFSA, which is necessary if your child is applying for financial assistance.

Contact Information