Domestic Partnership / Civil Union

Domestic Partnerships and Civil Unions for Same Sex Couples Prenuptial Agreements • Adoption • Dissolution of Civil Unions

New Jersey is one of four states offering civil unions and one of ten states providing spousal rights to same sex couples. Under New Jersey law, a civil union is equivalent to a marriage. Unfortunately, since civil unions are not recognized by the federal government, gay and lesbian couples are not afforded the same federal benefits and protections. And they face possible legal problems when traveling, living, or working in other states.

At the Ridgewood law office of Aretsky Law Group, P.C., our attorneys have been on the leading edge of family law cases involving same sex couples in New Jersey. We understand the challenges you face and can provide legal solutions to protect you, your family, and your finances.

Contact us to schedule a consultation with a divorce and family lawyer for a broad range of legal services, including:

  • Prenuptial agreements
  • Powers of attorney to ensure decision making authority for a partner
  • Adoption and child custody and visitation agreements
  • Dissolution of civil union, along with division of marital assets

Prenuptial Agreements: Although lesbian and gay couples now have the benefit of civil union to define legal rights within a relationship, you may still benefit from entering a prenuptial agreement for many of the same reasons heterosexual couples do. A prenuptial agreement can protect a personal business or financial assets in the event of a later divorce. It can protect the inheritance rights of children from an earlier marriage. And it can give the prospective spouses a greater feeling of security.

Powers of Attorney: Although New Jersey recognizes your right to make medical and financial decisions for your partner, if you travel in states that do not recognize your union you may benefit from legal documentation of your rights.

Dissolution of Civil Union / Domestic Partnership: Dissolution of a civil union is the same as divorce in New Jersey family courts. You will need to petition the court by filing a Complaint to dissolve the civil union and then work through the issues involved in every divorce action: property distribution, child custody and visitation and alimony.

Child Custody and Visitation: A non-biological parent who has provided for and bonded with a child while in a familial relationship can petition the court for visitation rights if the case can be made that you have been a “psychological parent” for the child. Our family law attorneys will work hard to protect your parental rights and relationship with your child.

Contact our New Jersey Family Law Attorneys

For legal help with civil unions, domestic partnerships, or other issues affecting same-sex couples in New Jersey, Contact Aretsky Law Group, P.C., by e-mail or call 800-537-4154.

Client Reviews
My experience with Eric as an attorney was genuinely pleasurable. Eric’s expertise in litigation, and personable attributes made the litigation of my case go over with ease. Eric was always punctual and went above and beyond my expectations in getting my case settled... Timothy G.
Eric was able to successfully represent me in a financial dispute. I found his candor, knowledge, and skills highly effective in resolving the matter. This was my first experience using his services and now regard him as my personal attorney for any issue. Eric is my first call. Thank you! Dave
Couldn’t have done it without his help. He kept us calm, had complete knowledge of the process and helped us negotiate our plea. It was totally worth hiring a lawyer have the outcome we did. Maureen