Parsippany Parental Alienation

Aretsky Law Group, P.C., Parental Alienation and Parental Alienation Syndrome in Parsippany New Jersey

If you are a parent who is involved in a parenting time or custody dispute and you are concerned that your ex-partner is manipulating your child and trying to keep you out of your child’s life, then you may be dealing with what’s called parental alienation. Parental alienation is just what it sounds like. It occurs when one parent uses denigration, deprecation, or criticism to alienate a child from the other parent. If this form of emotional and psychological child abuse is left unchecked, the results can be devastating and can cause your child to suffer from Parental Alienation Syndrome. If you think that your child is a victim of parental alienation, you need to consult with the experienced Parental Alienation Attorneys at Aretsky Law Group, P.C, in order to protect your child’s rights, your rights, and the relationship with your child.

How to Detect Parental Alienation

As mentioned above, if you think that your child may be experiencing Parental Alienation Syndrome, it is important that you address the issue right away. Parental alienation can have lasting and damaging effects on your child’s emotional and psychological well-being and can harm your once loving relationship with your child forever. Some of the warning signs of parental alienation include:

  • Your ex is not allowing you access to your child;
  • Your ex is lying to your child and telling them that you do not love them anymore and do not want to see or speak with them;
  • Your ex is blaming the separation or divorce on you, and now your child thinks the same;
  • Your ex blames you for whatever problems they are having, and your child believes the same;
  • Your ex is preventing access to your child’s school or medical records;
  • Your ex is scheduling activities that conflict with your visitation schedule;
  • Your ex is being inflexible about changes in the visitation schedule;
  • Your child is angry at you and cannot provide any reasons why they are upset;
  • Your child is acting out with they are with you;
  • Your ex is using your child to spy on you and asking your child about details of your personal life;
  • Your ex acts hurt or sad when your child says they enjoyed their time with you.

If your child is emotionally distraught and acting out, it may just be that they are upset about the separation or divorce or that they are acting appropriately for their age and what they are going through. But if one or more of the above indicators are present, parental alienation may be occurring in your family. If you believe that your child is suffering from Parental Alienation Syndrome, you should act quickly to stop it. Be sure to choose an attorney who is knowledgeable and has experience recognizing parental alienation in New Jersey. The attorneys at Arestsky Law Group, P.C., can work with you to protect you and your children from the effects of parental alienation.

What are my Legal Options for Fighting Parental Alienation?

There is no consensus among mental health professionals and even amongst judges as to whether or not parental alienation is a legitimate syndrome. However, no matter what a judge believes, they are required to do what is in the best interests of the child, whether this means modifying a custody order or keeping things as they are. So if your ex-partner is actively interfering with your relationship with your child and denying you access to your child, it is important that you seek the advice and consult of an experienced Parsippany Parental Alienation Attorney right away. Regardless of whether you have a formal custody order or not, a skilled and dedicated lawyer can help protect and preserve your parental rights. If you do not have a formal order, a lawyer can help craft one for you. But if you do have an order, and you can establish that your ex is in violation of this order, then your attorney can move to modify the order. A judge might make either permanent or temporary changes to the order which can include:

  • Changing who is the primary residential parent;
  • Changing parenting time schedules;
  • Changing drop-off and pick-up locations.

In some instances, a judge may order compensatory parenting time which is basically time that you get to spend with your child to make up for the time that your ex denied you access to your child. In addition, a judge may also decide to sanction a parent who fails to adhere to formal custody orders.

Contact the Parsippany Parental Alienation Lawyers at Aretsky Law Group, P.C., Today

At the Aretsky Law Group, P.C, our attorneys have extensive experience recognizing and dealing with parental alienation in divorce and custody cases. If you suspect that your child is a victim of parental alienation, be sure to contact Aretsky Law Group, P.C. by calling 800-537-4154 to schedule your initial consultation at our Parsippany, N.J. meeting location by appointment only.

Client Reviews
My experience with Eric as an attorney was genuinely pleasurable. Eric’s expertise in litigation, and personable attributes made the litigation of my case go over with ease. Eric was always punctual and went above and beyond my expectations in getting my case settled... Timothy G.
Eric was able to successfully represent me in a financial dispute. I found his candor, knowledge, and skills highly effective in resolving the matter. This was my first experience using his services and now regard him as my personal attorney for any issue. Eric is my first call. Thank you! Dave
Couldn’t have done it without his help. He kept us calm, had complete knowledge of the process and helped us negotiate our plea. It was totally worth hiring a lawyer have the outcome we did. Maureen