Hudson County Parental Alienation

Experienced Parental Alienation Attorneys in Hudson County New Jersey

Divorces can get complicated and ugly, and emotions can run high, so when children take sides with one parent or another, that parent can feel a sense of validation. But oftentimes it is one of the parents who is actively interfering in and discouraging their child from having a meaningful and loving relationship with the other parent. When one parent vilifies or disparages the other parent, either inadvertently or intentionally, these actions can be considered parental alienation.

A child’s pattern of negative behaviors or actions towards an alienated or non-custodial parent has also been referred to as Parental Alienation Syndrome. Parental alienation is not always easy to prove, especially when some judges and even psychologists do not believe that it is a legitimate syndrome. But still, there are signs and symptoms to look for if you think your child might be a victim of parental alienation. These signs and symptoms include:

  • Your child cannot provide any reasons for why they are angry at you;
  • The other parent interferes with visitation schedules and prevents access or contact with your child;
  • The other parent is asking your child to choose between you and the other parent and is asking your child to take sides;
  • Your child engages in rebellious behavior;
  • Your child accuses you of behavior or actions that never occurred;
  • Your child pulls away from you or refuses to talk to you or visit you without any explanation.

It is important to remember that, as mentioned above, parental alienation can be difficult to establish. While these signs and symptoms may indicate parental alienation, they can also be an indication of a child’s general frustration in the changing circumstances and family dynamics, or they could simply be a sign that the child is dealing with certain emotions that many children go through as they grow older. However, if you think your child is alienating you because of your ex-partner’s actions, and an actual violation of the parenting plan or court orders occurs, you should seriously consider consulting with an experienced Hudson County Parental Alienation Attorney right away in order to preserve your parental rights.

If Parental Alienation is Occurring, How Can it be Stopped?

Once you establish that parental alienation is occurring, it is best that it is addressed as soon as possible. Perhaps you decide to attend family therapy sessions to work through the changing circumstances before the situation worsens. Or maybe you seek help from a mediator who acts as a neutral party to facilitate an agreement regarding parenting issues. But if the situation does not get any better even after trying therapy or mediation, you may have to turn to the courts.

As mentioned in the foregoing, not all judges believe that parental alienation is an actual syndrome, and some judges are just confused by the issue. If parental alienation is alleged by one parent or the other, a judge will likely issue an order that requires both parents to refrain from insulting or disparaging each other or even discussing the divorce in front of or with their children. However, no matter the judge’s stance on parental alienation, they will typically try to make sure that the best interests of the children involved are protected. If the other parent is actively interfering with your visitation and custody rights, you do not even need to establish that parental alienation is occurring in order to pursue a remedy.

But What are My Remedies if the Other Parent is Interfering With Parenting Time or Custody?

If the other parent is interfering with your parenting time or custody rights, you can seek either permanent or temporary changes to your parenting plan which can include:

  • Changing who is the primary residential parent;
  • Changing any transportation arrangements;
  • Compensatory parenting time;
  • Changing pick-up or drop-off locations.

Not only can a court decide to make permanent or temporary changes to a parenting plan, but under New Jersey Court Rules, judges are also authorized to sanction the interfering parent by requiring them to:

  • Pay your court costs and attorney’s fees;
  • Pay for your counseling and for your child’s counseling;
  • Participate in community service;
  • Pay any costs that are associated with failing to comply with court orders;
  • Attend counseling or parenting classes.

If you think that parental alienation is affecting your relationship with your child and is adversely impacting your child custody arrangement, you should consult with an experienced Hudson County Parental Alienation Lawyer sooner rather than later in order to protect your parental rights.

Contact the Aretsky Law Group, P.C., Today to Discuss any Concerns You Might Have Regarding Parental Alienation

The attorneys at Aretsky Law Group, P.C., have many years of experience handling difficult and complex divorce cases that involve allegations of parental alienation. Contact the Hudson County Parental Alienation Attorneys at the Aretsky Law Group, P.C. today by calling 800-537-4154 or emailing the office at to discuss your case and schedule a Consultation at one of our Hudson County meeting locations by appointment only.

Client Reviews
My experience with Eric as an attorney was genuinely pleasurable. Eric’s expertise in litigation, and personable attributes made the litigation of my case go over with ease. Eric was always punctual and went above and beyond my expectations in getting my case settled... Timothy G.
Eric was able to successfully represent me in a financial dispute. I found his candor, knowledge, and skills highly effective in resolving the matter. This was my first experience using his services and now regard him as my personal attorney for any issue. Eric is my first call. Thank you! Dave
Couldn’t have done it without his help. He kept us calm, had complete knowledge of the process and helped us negotiate our plea. It was totally worth hiring a lawyer have the outcome we did. Maureen