Due to COVID-19, we are providing FREE consultations via PHONE or VIDEO conferencing for your safety and convenience. Please don't hesitate to call us if you have any questions! 1-800-537-4154. Learn More ยป

Articles Tagged with custody relocation

relocation after divorce bergen countyIf you are a custodial parent, you may or may not be permitted to relocate with your children. If you desire to move, a Bergen County family lawyer can help you prepare and advocate for your relocation plan. In the state of New Jersey, the burden is on the parent who wants to move to prove it is in the best interest of the children.As the party seeking to move, you will provide evidence establishing that there is a good faith reason for the move. You will not be permitted to move for the purpose of removing the child from their other parent.You will also need to prove that the move is in the best interest of your child, according to the criteria put forth in New Jersey statutes. After a child custody lawyer presents this case, your spouse may make arguments for why they feel the move would be harmful to the child’s interests, and your attorney will have the opportunity to respond to these. If you have a strong case, a hearing will be scheduled.Arguments will be presented again during a hearing where the court will decide whether to allow the move.The highly qualified Bergen County lawyers at Aretsky & Aretsky provide experienced, caring, and aggressive representation in the areas of Divorce, Criminal Defense, Employment Law and Personal Injury with offices in: Bergen County, Hackensack, Ridgewood, Mahwah, Fort Lee.

New Jersey Allows Leeway in Most Cases of Custodial Parents Wanting to Move Out of State

Our Bergen County divorce attorneys handle all manner of legal issues pertaining to divorce and child custody. If you are a divorced parent, or in the process of going through a divorce, and you are wondering what your rights are in the state of New Jersey to move with your child, watch this short video. In this one and a half minute video, Bergen County attorney Eric Aretsky explains in plain language the legal process you must go through to move with a child out of the state of New Jersey.

Contact Information